homestead - [Homestead] Back in contact

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Back in contact
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:01:43 -0800

I have spent the last month or so (really from the first of January) helping
out on an organic vegetable farm in the Central Coast of California near
Hollister. I did a little tractor work but mostly worked on tractors. You
can look on my I was out of email contact most of the time so had little time
to join in the discussion but I learned a lot. While there I spent time
reading some of the magazines he gets and that was an education, mostly about
what is not reported on the celebrity obsessed news.

Do you think that by buying organic food you are avoiding GMOs? Think again,
genetic drift and the inability to keep GMO and non GMO separated combined
with no testing have allowed significant GMOs into your diet even if you grow
most of your own.

All farmers are suffering from very high fuel prices. I filled one tractor
with over $150 worth of Diesel fuel. Delivery trucks to go to the several
bay area farmers markets are consuming several hundred dollars a week while
delivery to the farm is costing more every day.

Not having a computer and the Internet to distract me allowed me to finish
several books on my very long list, unfortunately the list grew as fast as it
shrank.

The Age of Gold: The California Gold Rush and the New American Dream by H.W.
Brands was a very good book on the growth of California after the gold
discovery of 1848. Several first person accounts livened up the book.

Building Green: A complete How-To of Alternative Building Methods by Clarke
Snell & Tim Calahan was a much better description of various building methods
than his earlier book. He built a small guest cottage using cob, cordwood,
strawbale, and stick frame with a living roof.

World Made by Hand by James Howard Kunstler was a piece of modern apoplectic
fiction. What happens when the oil runs out? His vision of the future is a
little darker than mine but he presents it in a very readable fashion.

Peak Everything" Waking up to the Century of Declines by Richard Heinberg is
another of his Peak Oil books. In it he tries to show that we are in a cheap
oil derived economy and culture that the reduction of oil is also a reduction
of many things including social progress and innovation.

I also added a couple of books to the list. One in particular is Glacial
Lake Missoula and its Humongus Floods by David Alt. I will get to it next
after I complete Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow by J.K. Rowling. There
was a recent comment on the list about 70,000 years of glacial coverage in
the upper Midwest. I have not replied because the Lake Missoula book is
about a lake formed several times when glaciers dammed the Clark Fork in
Northern Idaho. This book should tell me about the extent and time of
glacial activity.