homestead - Re: [Homestead] Politics

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Politics
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:30:40 EDT

> In that case we need you to educate us. I don't ask or care for your
> credentials, only your insight.

Sorry, Gene, I'd read this but until I saw Lynda's response it had become
lost in the maelstrom of the many posts I'm trying to "read" from a number of
fora.

Actually I'd endorse what Lynda had to say as far as Medicade and most of
NAFTA, but I'd probably have a different take on SS. I don't disagree even
there, only I've view it entirely differently.

You question is essentially, what would *I* do as opposed to what Obama and
others are offering.

When we have such conversations, much of what I say is met with "But people
aren't going to want to do that..."

True enough. But if I was careless cleaning the shotgun and blew my foot
off, I might ask you 'what do I do now?'

I'd have to make do with one foot. Doesn't matter a whit what I'd like to
do, or that it is an unacceptable answer to me, or that's not what I'd
choose.
It's a situation I created and I can damn well live with the consequences.

It reminds me of the scene in Mel Gibson's 'Braveheart' where his uncle
Argyle came to get him when his father and brother were killed. He, the
uncle,
mentions as matter of fact "We will stay here tonight and you will come with
me
in the morning." The young William replies, "I don't want to leave." To
which
his uncle says, "You didn't want your father to die either, but it happened."

We, collectively, have made an econimc and social hash of things. But it is
exactly as if we had shot off our foot. You can't mend it, you simply live
with the consequences of your foolishness.

What a political leader OUGHT to do (or at least ought to be able to do) is
tell the truth and then held prepare the people for the consequnces. That
is,
Obama ought to be going for the tourniquet rather than telling you it's OK,
we'll figure out some way of getting you a new foot ..... IF you elect me.
</HTML>