homestead - Re: [Homestead] Politics

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Politics
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 06:32:50 -0700

On Mar 27, 2008, at 5:50 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

It's a pity the ACLU isn't, fond of the Constitution, that is. Their formal
stand is that we have no individual 2nd amendment rights. It appears so far
with the current case before it, the first case of its kind in our history,
that the Supreme Court does not agree.

The ACLU position is too clever by half. They shoot themselves in the foot with their argument that, if citizens may legally possess hand guns, then they should be able to possess bazookas, Scud missiles and nuclear warheads. Common sense, wherefore art thou?

I agree that the wording of the 2nd Amendment is archaic. It is one example of how the Constitution needs to be tempered to reflect modernity.

The Supremes may well have to do a Texas two-step on this one.

When guns are outlawed, only criminals will have guns.

And I will be one of them.