homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 07:16:04 -0700

On Mar 7, 2008, at 9:33 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

When Tvo was alive, he would always amaze me with his stories and rather
casual mention of various things and events in his life. To hear the
man talk, you would think he was 150 years old as it would seem that it
would take 150 years to live as much as he had- in as many places as he
had. My kids used to ask me if he was for real. If I met someone like
him today on the web, I would think they are full of sh*t and a liar. I
am glad I "met" him in the mid '90's when I was less suspicious of
people. Even after his death, I often wondered of the how's in his
life...His obit provides a few clues.

I got on Google Earth and found his home town. It is in the county just east of where I was born and spent my first fifteen years.

I never questioned any of his exploits. You will recall that for his amusement I searched the MLS records here in Phoenix and found the subdivision that he and a partner built and that still carries his name. I drove the neighborhood. Small, modest homes for young families.

Hetrick, is that the right spelling, went over and met him when we collected bucks for his computer repairs. He said he was tall, white- haired, courtly and gracious. Tvo was very touched by what we had done. I think he would have contributed as much no matter what, but he had an emotional connection to this list, as many of us had to him. He remains my ideal for how geezers should inspire and help the young with stories and useful information.