homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rural Land Prices and Conditions

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rural Land Prices and Conditions
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:18:15 -0500

> There isn't much tension here in Floyd County, Virginia...yet, but it's
> probably coming. Our taxes are rising as people like myself have
> 'discovered' Floyd. I've been here 8 years (whoopee!) but the growth the
> county has experienced in the last three has been tremendous. Even at
> today's ridiculous rate, our county's land prices still seem 'cheap' to
> people from MA & CA. We lack services but those are also probably on the
> not-so-distant horizon.

I'm a little east of you in Lunenburg county, Lisa. I'd have to say
that Floyd is one of those counties that is about to cross the line.
I've looked at prices for land there and it's way high, but like you
say to the outsiders coming in, especially from the north, it probably
seems cheap.

It's one of the problems with finding a place, Floyd is what I was
looking for in a location, lots of old hippies, markets for homestead
goods, like minded people, but once an area gets too attractive, it's
hard to fight the forces that come in and take over. I think that
Lunenburg will take a while to get to that point, at least I hope so.

Rob - Va