homestead - [Homestead] Cemetary as homestead business

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cemetary as homestead business
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:16:12 -0700

On Jan 10, 2008, at 5:43 AM, clhw wrote:

Gene -- Is there any permit/application to authorities involved?

I suspect it is a local issue. I know of no federal laws. Yet.

This is a subject we've discussed a couple of times on our place. My recent
heart attack makes it more relevant. The local Mennonite cabinet makers
maintain 3 sizes of plain, wooden caskets which we could get if needed. If
you follow Torah/Scripture/Bible, the body will be buried before the sun
sets and there is no embalming involved. I'm thinking about getting
somethine more up-to-date in writing.

Human burial is an issue seeking far better resolution. Rising urban land values, absurdly high cost of undertaker services and common sense call for new ways. The 1974 book, The High Cost of Dying by Ruth Mulvey Harmer began a national discussion. From time to time I read of human cemetaries on private land. Pet cemetaries are a fairly common business. Like any business, starting a human cemetary on homestead land would require a sound business plan. You will have time for research.

One subject which came up pre-surgery was a living will.

The only adults who do not have living wills are those who have not taken seriously the potential consequences. Think Terry Shiavo.

Anyway, one of the orders of business around here, at least for me, will be
attention to updating my possessions will and doing a living will of sorts,
so I'd appreciate thoughts from people.

Chris and I are this week doing the yearly update of our living trust. We use the Nolo Press book: Make Your Own Living Trust. It came with a CD that has all the forms. That is what we also used to make our wills.

And I'd rather not wind up a wax blob!

I wonder how much of that is because of the non-food stuff that people eat.