homestead - Re: [Homestead] Just weird

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Just weird
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:53:14 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

This was the way it was done in ancient times. The dead were left in tombs for six months to a year during which time the flesh was eaten away. The limestone container in which the dead reposed was called in Greek a 'sarcophagus' that is 'flesh eater'. Afterwards the bones were gathered up and put into a much smaller container (about the size of a bread box) called the 'ossuary' = 'bone box'. The smaller ossuaries took up less space and the sarcophagus could be used over and over.

Thanks, James.
I knew the terms, but never thought about the action of moving the body from one to another. I guess I thought the ossuary more like an urn for cremated remains. What you said makes more sense, however.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky