homestead - Re: [Homestead] Test

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Test
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:43:13 -0800

Bill, as usual, you are putting your motives on other people. I didn't search the net, I LIVED in Sonoma County for 30 years. I *personally* know about Purple Dirt. It has nothing to do with YOUR internet searches. It is called that by the local, as I clearly stated. The reason they call it Purple Dirt is because that is what the color looks like in the sun in the summer.

And even though you are a total twit and, as clearly shown by Bev's posts, unable to remember what you have and haven't posted and what and who has responded to them, I will continue to be a better and more caring person than you, ie. be careful in Mendocino County. Severe ice warnings on the roads and lots of black ice in the northern half. The ice may not clear during the day. It hasn't in the last few days.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

I searched online for "purple dirt" and found several types, one formed
from amethyst mine trailings, one formed from silver mine trailings, and
another: soil contaminated with benzene. None of these sounds like
yours. Anything is possible on a tiny scale somewhere. Somewhere in
Utah, there's a soil that's blue from vanadyl sulfate, for example,
where the predominant mineral matter is vanadium-based. But how common
or relevant is that?

If you knew a little chemistry, you could predict the possibilities
without having to search the Internet for ad hoc examples.

There are only three reasons I can think of, but maybe Bev has another.

1. Young soils haven't had the time to have their supply of alkaline
metals leached out.

2. There are heavier, less common alkali metals. No CRC Manual with
me, of course, but I'll bet some might have not-so-soluble compounds
that can't leach as readily.

3. The most likely cause is ammonium ions resulting from the anaerobic
breakdown of nitrogenous material, thus this "muck" you spoke of. This
is "unstable" alkalinity, because the moment you aerate such a soil, a
different set of bacteria take over, converting the ammonium cations to
nitrite and nitrate anions.

Mind you, I'm no expert on soil science, as if anyone _really_ were. I
just happen to know that there are only so many types of positive ions,
and it's easy to go through the possibilities systematically.

Incidentally, we decided to leave tomorrow (Friday), and spend two
glorious nights in San Francisco, hopefully at the Lone Star Saloon,
then travel up the coast the rest of the way on a fairly rainless
Sunday, up north. Screw those Siskiyous. I don't mind driving on the
_inside_ lane up the coast. :)

Bill
S. Oregon coast

Lynda wrote:

Not necessarily. Bodega gets an average yearly rainfall of over 55 inches.
Purple Dirt tests off the charts alkali.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

snip<

Of course. But take away the plastic sheet from the greenhouse, and
after one year of leaching with 60" of rain, the alkaline deposits will
be gone, obviously. It should be obvious to anyone that there is indeed
a relationship between pH and rainfall levels.

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/billj%40harborside.com