homestead - Re: [Homestead] Test

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Test
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 01:22:14 -0800

eureka AT hctc.net wrote:

Haven't tried sulfur...what would be the application rate? I'm always looking for ways to boost the veggies that don't contain blood or fish products (I'm severly allergic to the latter).

Our vegetable garden is in raised beds, and the soil was 'mined' from the topsoil brought in by floods in our creek, and is continuously amended with composted chicken bedding. This works fine for annual edibles. Good luck with your blueberries and let us know how they do.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

Hi Sage. Here's a good article on modifying soil pH:

http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implement/soil_ph.html

I don't use any of that fishy bovine BS any more either. Early on I discovered alfalfa and never looked back. Ordinary alfalfa pellets are much cheaper than meal intended for gardens. They fall apart back into meal if you just soak them overnight in a trash can full of water. The maximum application rate recommended in one book, HTGMV by John Jeavons, is one pound for every six square feet, but I usually only use half that much. They're also loaded with potassium, unlike the meaty alternatives.

Bill
S. Oregon coast