homestead - Re: [Homestead] Test

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Test
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:00:53 -0500

Hi Sage...collect some garden soil and take it in for a soil test to make sure exactly how alkaline your soil really is and what minerals might be causing a problem. You may not need to amend at all, or you may only want to amend a certain area for specific plants. After that, you can look for better ways to boost yields, and you should be able to do that without the fish and blood products, although those are usually the cheapest routes.

Bev

eureka AT hctc.net wrote:
Haven't tried sulfur...what would be the application rate? I'm always looking for ways to boost the veggies that don't contain blood or fish products (I'm severly allergic to the latter).

Our vegetable garden is in raised beds, and the soil was 'mined' from the topsoil brought in by floods in our creek, and is continuously amended with composted chicken bedding. This works fine for annual edibles. Good luck with your blueberries and let us know how they do.

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.