homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:31:59 -0500

On 11/6/07, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> OK, Jerry, you pass the civilized person test. There's no sugar in your
> cornbread.

This is an adapted recipe from Joy of Cooking (Rombauer/Becker):

1/2 c. flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1 T molasses
3/4 t. salt
Add:
1 1/2 c. corn meal
Beat in (separate bowl--I just do it in same bowl):
1 egg
Add: 2-3 T melted butter (we use safflower or olive oil)
1 c. milk

425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

The original recipe calls for sugar. Molasses makes the cornbread more
golden in color and helps make the top just slightly crunchy. Sometimes I
leave out the molasses, but if my boys are making the recipe they always add
it. Measure the oil first and then measure the molasses, it will slide right
off and not stick to the spoon. Also, the org. recipe calls for 3/4 c. flour
and 1 1/4 corn meal, I increased the corn meal and decreased the flour by
1/4 c. and it still works.