homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:30:50 -0500

On 11/5/07, Jerry W. Shepperd <shepperd AT austincc.edu> wrote:

> For variations in taste, mix cheese, onions, chopped olives, chopped
> bell peppers, or chopped jalapenos in the batter.

Heck, we sometimes add one can (well drained) of corn to the batter to make
a very corny cornbread.

We heat our cast iron skillet up in the oven (w/ grease in the skillet)
while making the batter, then take out the skillet to pour in the batter and
return it to the oven. It only takes 20-25 minutes to bake at 400 deg.

Now that we've got a working wood stove again, we'll try making it on top
very soon.

Lisa