homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 16:05:46 -0600

James, Thanks. However, some may question the civilized person part.

I don't know if it was growing up in rural poverty, or taste differences, or something else, but sugar was used very sparingly when I was a child. No sugar in tea, no sugar in coffee, no sugar in cornbread. Our most frequent desserts were tea cakes and scones, neither of which had much sugar in them. I remember eating at a friend's house, and one food item was sweetened stewed tomatoes. I ate it to be polite, but never appreciated the taste.

Not too long ago, I received a brochure from the USDA, in which parents were encouraged to serve more fresh vegetables to children. The brochure suggested that sugar be added to vegetables in order to entice children to eat them. I was, and still am, appalled.

Jerry S.

From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>