homestead - Re: [Homestead] Let's talk about water...

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Let's talk about water...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:32:33 -0400

Bev wrote:

There's 90 degrees between the pole and the equator. 45 is halfway. I think NYC is around 45 degrees. What's your latitude? We are at 34.498N, closer to the equator. My guess is that you are around 35 or 36, too.

Bev
I'm in Maine and I'm at 44º32' and I think NYC would be about 40º or so. My connection so slow today I'm reluctant to go after any sort of graphic---all that does not of course change where you are. Most if not all of MO, in my memory, is N of the TN southern border, so he must be a bit north, but not by much, likely.

It's been drier here than usual (well, what's 'usual' anymore?) but the latter part of the summer things sort of got squared away. However, I lost my spring 16 years ago and drilled a well the next year. It has overflowed until this year; this year I had to add a pump and pressure tank......not a happy picture. I just went up the hilland checked, out of curiosity, and pipe is dry around outside.

I'd say about 10% of the wells locally (Waldo County, Maine, midcoastal) have had to be replaced in the past 10 years or so. Many of these same wells had been in place for 100 years or so without supply issues. ????

Susan Jane