homestead - Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:58:09 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

My point is that all parts of the US have been and will forever be subject to recurring cycles of varying climatic conditions, including precipitation, whether as snow or rain.

Absolutely. My area here in south-central Missouri is about seven inches below normal as I write this. Down here in the bottom of a hollow my grass is green from recent rain and the stream is normal for this time of year but in the trenches I have been digging, the ground below is dry. The North Georgia area has a recorded history of quite a bit more annual rainfall that Southern Missouri, I believe. Here, the average has been about forty to forty-five inches per year. What is it in Northern Georgia?

It's 56 inches here. That's more than Seattle, in case anyone is wondering.
I can't remember a year without some drought. I think we have been 5-12 inches below normal for the past five or so years. What I am hoping is that people realize that there is a tipping point, for the lack of a better word, where suddenly, drought worsen dramatically, and there is no recharge in the water supply. What was a mild inconvenience becomes a major disaster in the blink of an eye. I actually still have 2 tanks of rainwater, but if the drought continues, I may have to use it sooner than planned.

Climatologists predict that global warming conditions will include greater precipitation at the poles and diminished precipitation in the subtropical areas. Haven't got a globe with me, does someone know to which are we closer, the poles or equator? I am guessing the latter.

There's 90 degrees between the pole and the equator. 45 is halfway. I think NYC is around 45 degrees. What's your latitude? We are at 34.498N, closer to the equator. My guess is that you are around 35 or 36, too.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.