homestead - [Homestead] Let's talk about water...

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Let's talk about water...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 06:36:20 -0500

I am reading a long article in TNYT about water, primarily conditions in the US West. Something just jolted me: "But recent studies of tree rings, in which academics drill core samples from the oldest Ponderosa pines or Douglas firs they can find in order to determine moisture levels hundreds of years ago, indicate that the dry times of the 1950s were mild and brief compared with other historical droughts. The latest research effort, published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters in late May, identified the existence of an epochal Southwestern megadrought that, if it recurred, would prove calamitous."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/magazine/21water-t.html? pagewanted=5&_r=1

What occurs is that the current drought in NW Georgia, east Tennessee, and part of the Carolinas and, I believe, Alabama, is not an anomaly--it is a recurring cycle--and we should plan to handle such conditions.

I have long read of how "virgin" timber was superior to what we have today. The reason is that the growth rings are smaller because there was less water when those trees were growing a hundred-to-three hundred years ago.

Be prepared.