homestead - [Homestead] New woodstove

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] New woodstove
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 07:18:37 -0400

Well gang,

You may recall the discussion we've had re woodstoves v. propane, etc. Hubby
wanted me to quick write the list a couple weeks back to learn the merits of
a soapstone woodstove v. a regular cast iron model, but I didn't take the
time and we eventually went shopping.

Our 22 y.o. Vermont Castings woodstove had been on its last leg for two
years. We 'made do' last year, but every fire burned too hot and didn't
leave coals in the morning despite trying to regulate the air flow. The
local chimney & woodstove 'expert' said that we needed two new parts that
would cost about what it would to replace the whole darn stove.

We were cold for much of last winter, probably why I am not looking forward
to this winter. And I have such fond memories of the ice storm last Feb.
when we were without power for 68 hours and it was 32 d. in the mudroom and
43 d. in the kitchen. Two beloved pets died (one related to this incident,
the other unrelated).

Long story short (too late), we don't want to be cold this winter so we
bought a Hearthstone soapstone woodstove. Found one small enough that the
back half will actually fit into our fireplace. It will be delivered
tomorrow.

Lisa