homestead - Re: [Homestead] New woodstove

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New woodstove
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:40:51 -0400

Steve Oliphant wrote:
When the stove doesn't have an outside air intake, but does have a smoke
stack, it pulls in the air from the house, and then the outside air gets
pulled into your living spaces through cracks in doors, windows, whatever.
In effect, having an outside air intake for a wood stove helps your house
stay warmer, because the stove is not pulling in house air that has to be
replaced by colder outside air.
I finally got my intake done! After years of debate, I hooked up an old water solar heater w a dustbuster vacuum (solar panel powered.) When it is hot, it sucks in air through it so it should help offset loss up chimney from old wood stove. I figure I'd rather leak a little warm out (especially during day when most of heat from passive solar) rather than seeping in cold. We'll see, but it's finally in!

Kathyann