homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bench and clamps

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bench and clamps
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 20:40:36 -0500

On Oct 3, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

\Besides that heavy load (I had a rough 2x4, really 2"x4",. break with 30 5"
cast iron clamps on it), don't you have to lightly tighten the clamps on the
2x4 to keep them in place?

The clamps need to be closed enough to grab; they lean some but grab enough to stay on the two-by-four.

Each piece of wood and its fasteners have strength limits. Old oak is my preference, but if placing it new, I drill to set nails or screws. Lumber yard stuff--typically Douglas Fir--is perhaps one-fourth as strong, good for studs on sixteen-inch centers but not much more.