homestead - Re: [Homestead] sawmill...

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] sawmill...
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:48:00 EDT

> One of the reasons I am interested in a sawmill is, I
> have about 100 acres of woods .... most of which are
> not large enough to interest timber harvesters and
> lots will need to be removed if I'm ever to grow good
> timber.

True enough that if you don't clear out the growth, you'll not get any large
timber, at least not in your lifetime, but if you harvest the small trees and
mill them, I'd be very interested in your evaluation.

One of the local tree services was all too glad to have me come pick up the
trunks and large limbs from their work (the city picked up the twigs and
such).
Mostly I did it for the nice maple firewood, but there were many trunks,
even some cherry and walnut, 8" to 10" in diameter. I sawed them on a
bandsaw
mill and sure enough got some useable boards. But the time involved was
horrendous for the results obtained. </HTML>

  • Re: [Homestead] sawmill..., Clansgian, 10/03/2007