homestead - [Homestead] Night sounds

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Night sounds
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 05:49:33 -0500

Porch sleeping has many moments. I hear coyotes having parties, I hear beavers cutting down my trees. Last night, unless I was dreaming, there was a wonderful ruckus of sounds that I cannot clearly describe, a large number of birds or animals, somewhat like a big flock of guineas going off, but, I swear, more like a flock of monkeys. Coyotes are capable of making many sounds, from "talking" to straight out howling. My best bet is a big flock of turkeys mortally upset by a coon getting into their tree, but I have never heard this sound before. High pitched and intense. Lasted perhaps half a minute and then all quiet.