homestead - Re: [Homestead] Night sounds

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Night sounds
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 07:10:12 -0500

On Sep 14, 2007, at 6:11 AM, SJC wrote:

One thing about the very odd woods noises at night: it's almost always
a fight of some sort.

Yeah, Nature is much about eating and being eaten. Most prey stays quiet and most predators use stealth. Ah, but then there is, um, reproduction. Nothing quite like a couple bucks proving whose territory it really is, and they aren't about the browse.

One item of interest: Benny, the Aussie, who also sleeps on the porch, did not make a sound. This says to me that he was either scared or as curious as I and just didn't know how to react. Or maybe like his master, it takes a while to come out of deep sleep and get the gray stuff moving.