homestead - Re: [Homestead] Night sounds

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Night sounds
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:08:16 -0500

Here in PA, we get the owl noises too. The first time I heard that loud, shrill scream that went on and on, I was about 10 and staying home alone for a few hours. It was right outside the window and I hid under the kitchen table with my dog for almost an hour before having the nerve to come out. When I told my grandmother about it, she laughed herself to tears. I didn't think it was so funny.

Wendy

Two things that live here, anyway, (Maine) that make a racket which
might be roughly described as similar to yours are owls --especially
barred owls--(they make some really weird sounds, nothing you'd ascribe
to an owl if you 'knew better') and bobcats. We've lived here and spend
many many summer nights sleeping in our 'hut' quite far down in the
woods (my ground borders several thousand acres of woods and deep swamp)
and apparently the critters down there are used to our presence because
it has always been interesting!

One thing about the very odd woods noises at night: it's almost always
a fight of some sort.

Susan Jane, in Maine, where it's 55° this morning and quite clear. Just
a hint of color in the woods now the last couple of days. No frost here
yet.

Gene GeRue wrote:
Porch sleeping has many moments. I hear coyotes having parties, I
hear beavers cutting down my trees. Last night, unless I was
dreaming, there was a wonderful ruckus of sounds that I cannot
clearly describe, a large number of birds or animals, somewhat like a
big flock of guineas going off, but, I swear, more like a flock of
monkeys. Coyotes are capable of making many sounds, from "talking" to
straight out howling. My best bet is a big flock of turkeys mortally
upset by a coon getting into their tree, but I have never heard this
sound before. High pitched and intense. Lasted perhaps half a minute
and then all quiet.