homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden water infrastructure

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden water infrastructure
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:10:20 -0500

Something like that is happening here in Texas, too. It doesn't help that San Antonio (2-1/2 hrs away) is one of the top ten most populated cities in the nation, but is the only one relying entirely on an aquifer (ours). The same kind of mentality turning ranchers into land developers makes me think they will be selling off their water rights too.

There is a historic ditch running through our ghost town built in the 1800's. It hasn't had water in it since the flood of 1968, yet the people owning property through which it runs must pay the State yearly for their "water rights". Isn't that insane? We have a large bake sale and raise the money as a community.

I feel the same way as you. Our well was dug by pioneers. We've never registered it with the county, don't intend to.

The neighbor's trees are still coming down. I can barely stand to be outside even though the cool of fall is in the air.

--Sage
Way out in Texas

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:54:38 -0700