homestead - Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:58:13 -0800

As far as farming and homesteading, we are quite lucky in that our great-grandfather was a meticulous recordkeeper. He detailed every item bought, bartered or sold and how every inch of land on the 150 acre homestead was used. Little things like a family history on the woodworker he got to make the railing for the stairs when he had the house built in 1870. He even included the specifics on the wood that was used including not only what kind of tree but exactly where on the property it was cut, how it was dried and finished. He did mini-geneologies on all his neighbors, kept track of who married who and where the husband/wife came from, etc.

He detailed the tutors he hired, where they came from, what their background was, the cost of having them "imported," etc. The same with the organ he bought for his daughters to learn to play -- who he bought it from, what city, cost, transportation, where it was manufactured, etc. The whole history on the violin he bought for Uncle Henry, who made it, where they had apprentised, where the wood came from, etc.

We laughed when we went through his stuff about how the heck he had any time to farm when he seemed to have spent hours and hours and hours on recordkeeping. But we sure were pleased with all the information it provided us with.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Mjkoaktreecottag AT aol.com>

Fortunately, my mom loved to talk about the past and about daily life on the
farm and also relate stories that had been told to her by her mother, who
died at 98. Their combined life experience stretched bak to a few years after
the Civil War, but since my mom passed 2 years ago, I've realized that there
was a lot more that I should have asked about, especially as I am preparing
her estate for an auction in Sept. None of her 10 grandchildren seem to be
interested in the family history (which includes the French & Indian War period
on the frontier) or in family antiques or "old" things, or even just the
stories I found so interesting...
maggie