homestead - Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:11:24 EDT

>And that's the truth...Now, whoever said History was boring!!!

Entertaining but just about every point is incorrect. I'm not as
entertaining so I will only address a couple of them:

The problem with that often offered explanation is that the "safety coffins"
with the provisions for a bell fell out of use by the beginning of the 19th
centuiry and the term "saved by the bell" only begins to appear in the
English
language about 1880. It is a term from boxing, the bell signaling the end of
round where the fighting abruptly ends.

As a chemist you know that in alloy lead does not leach out in any
appreciable amounts in the presence of citric acid or any other such mild
vegetable
acid. Tomatoes were considered poisonous because the plant looks and smells
just
like nightshade to which it is closely related and which is seriously
poisonous.

</HTML>