homestead - Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:46:41 -0500

On 8/25/07, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Thank you, MJK, for _not_ heckling me or citing snopes or some other
> website. I posted that Life in the 1500's thing here to start a
> discussion that might be educational and enlightening, and you have
> certainly given me food for thought.

Unfortunately, so far as I know (and listers are encouraged to
disabuse me of the notion), there is precious little about day to life
at any stage in the past. Even the way our parents grew up is lost as
they die. No one ever writes about that stuff. I have some letters
from relatives who were homesteading in Oklahoma before the turn of
the last century, but even they aren't nearly a complete picture.
Everyone assumed that the conditions of the day were what you got and
didn't comment on it.

Figuring out the origin of words in another science all on its own