homestead - Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:25:18 EDT

> Unfortunately, so far as I know (and listers are encouraged to
> disabuse me of the notion), there is precious little about day to life
> at any stage in the past.

That's it. We have, for example and from a homesteader's point of view, some
record of how major crops of barley and wheat were raised, but when someone
tried to document kitchen gardens in the middle ages, they found there was no
information whatever. All we have are those anachronistic paintings of
ancient
or bibilical scenes where they depicted everyone as if they dressed and ate
in a contemporary manner. In those paintings we get a glimpse of a kitchen
cabbage garden or such. But nothing conclusive.

> Figuring out the origin of words in another science all on its own

There we have a few more clues. For example, almost every word in the
English language has been cataloged as to when it first appears in print or
literature. If someone speculates about word or a phrase arising from the
1500's but
it doesn't appear anywhere in any written from until the 1890's, then it's a
pretty safe guess that the 1500's origin is fanciful.

We also have comparative linguistics to give us some clues. In the case of
the word 'heckle' that was just discussed, the 'heck' part of the word has
the
same linguistic root as 'hook' and 'hack' and comes from the Saxon word for
'annoy'. So are hecklers so called because they act like the 'heckles' for
carding flax, or are the spiked blocks so called because they heckle the flax
like
a heckler annoys the prefromer. Which is the origin and which the
derivitive? </HTML>