homestead - Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's

  • From: Judy Anderson <illiinnarra AT verizon.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Life in the 1500's
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:44:57 -0400

As a medieval reenactor, I can say for certain that the vast majority of those are absolutely not true.

Weddings were held in June so they could be blessed by the patron goddess of marriage, Juno (Hera), who presided over that month. The Vikings washed daily and took weekly baths (http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml), and I am sure the practice was not completely isolated to them 500 years later.

Only a very inept baker would always burn the loaf of bread. Even I, who can ruin just about anything I try cooking for the first time, eventually can get it right. Everyone would have had access to wonderful delicious bread on a regular basis.

I notice that first it talks about thatched roofs, then it looks like it says there were no roofs at all.

I will stop there.

Judy