homestead - [Homestead] Rob's Bread Reinvented

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Rob's Bread Reinvented
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 21:44:27 -0800

This morning I made a batch of hamburger buns and hot dog rolls for tomorrow. While I was at it, since there be a few folks around, I decided to whip up another batch of "Rob's Bread." Since both are easy starts and long initial rises, I then headed out to the garden to continue my war with ground squirrels.

About the time I finished making another raised bed cover for another split of strawberries, DH decided we needed to do a dump run.

When we got home, DH and the kidlet decided they wanted pizza for dinner. Well, I wasn't about to start yet another batch of dough, so when it came time to knead "Rob's Bread," I split the batch in half. I did half the regular way and set it to rise again for a loaf of bread. To the second half, I add some olive oil, kneaded the life out of it <g> and then set it off to rise.

I used DH's grandmother's method (she was raised in Naples) where you slather on some EVOO and fresh from the garden herbs and toss in the oven. When half baked you pull it out and add your sauce and cheese. And Noni's sauce (she was raised in Tuscany) and added some buffalo milk motz and well-aged Parmesan.

The pizzas were a hit. So, Rob, your bread makes a great pizza crust along with making a great bread! Thanks again for the recipe!