homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rob's Bread Reinvented

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rob's Bread Reinvented
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:05:29 -0800

Wouldn't survive here is it wasn't low humidity!

The purgola DH put across the front he made from the 120' Doug fir that fell the winter before laste. Rustic which fits us <g> And then he wove shade cloth through the slats. The front of the house hasn't gone over 90 since he did that. Really has made a BIG difference!

He's almost finished with the screened in porch for the back and it has also cut down on the heat in the house.

All this week is supposed to be up over 110. Last year by this time of the day we'd have been baking. This year, with the purgola, it is still nice enough to sit on the front porch!

It was really annoying when the big tree went down. Left a HUGE hole in the ground that took forever to fill in! Now that it is a purgola, I'm no longer annoyed at it <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

For the pizza I made for friends Sunday I simply put the dough out on
the garage workbench to rise. I think it was about 104 degrees out
there. This would count as one of the very, very few advantages to a
Phoenix summer.

I'm building a ramada in front of the east-facing garage to partially
thwart the morning blaze. As soon as I got the vigas secured
yesterday before daybreak I pulled a large tarp over the whole thing
and let it hang down nearly to the driveway. Thinking now about a
sheet hanging at the edge that I can spray about every, oh, five
minutes.

But it's low humidity.