homestead - [Homestead] Garlic scape question

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garlic scape question
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:33:43 -0400

It's garlic scape time! Ive decided not to even try to sell them this year
(I tried for two years and didn't sell even one), so I'm going to have a
LOT of garlic scape pesto (my favorite). I usually freeze it, but I'm
trying to save freezer space. Is pesto (garlic scapes, olive oil, and
parmasean cheese...it's NOT cooked) OK to can?Nothing like it is in any of
my canning books. I know that olive oil preserves things pretty well, but
will the heat of canning destroy the taste or texture? I have a feeling
it might. Water bath or pressure can or should I stick to freezing it?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA