homestead - Re: [Homestead] portable, inexpensive saw mills

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] portable, inexpensive saw mills
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:47:51 -0700

At 6/21/2007 08:41 PM,VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
I am just starting the learning process. The man who
just moved my house has one for sale for about 6000 I
don't know what kind, but that got me wondering if
these are useful tools.
I have about 100 acres of woods most of it too small
for timber. At a forestry class I took last summer
they were telling us that this kind of timber is not
really economical for commercial milling, but I have a
lot of applications in mind if I have access to a
small mill.
I guess my biggest question is: what questions do I
need to be asking. What information do I need to make
an intelligent decision? And what kind of insights
can you all give that I wouldn't find in on line
research?
Van Dell

This message should be on the milling list, they can ask you what it is you want to do, how big are your trees and all that stuff.
Since I left Minnesota milling lumber has been low on my list of priorities... I can offer this site to check out the cost/value of a used mill http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/
The milling group is the place to post this message.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net