homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seizure in dogs

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seizure in dogs
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:14:39 -0400

On 4/10/07, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:

Louie had a seizure today.

Anyone have words of wisdom or previous experience? He's not quite 3 years
old.

When we moved in and bought this farm going on seven years ago, it came with
two Border Collies. I had always promised the boys that we'd get dogs when
we bought a house--then found a house that came w/ dogs. Anyway, the female
Border Collie had epilepsy. She was 7 at the time. She was on meds and had
regular seizures, approximately 1 or 2 per month. She's shake pretty bad and
we'd try to hold her head if we were aware she was having a seizure. Often
she'd disappear and then have one. Afterwards she'd lose control of her back
legs for the next hour or so. Her name was Flop, because of her floppy ears,
our youngest son (then 5) thought it was because of her seizures. Flop's
health caused her to have a tragic ending, we think she had been swimming or
taking a drink down at the pond when she must have had a seizure. My husband
found her later that day. That was a sad day--five years ago this month. She
was my favorite. We have another female Border Collie that we got three
years ago, but she's not as sweet nor as smart as Flop was. I've been trying
to give her as much love as I gave Flop and hope that Sweet Pea will come
around.

I hope your Louie is okay. We were told that the meds Flop was on usually
controlled seizures, but she had an advanced case and one of the worst that
the Vet had seen or heard of.

Will think healing thoughts for your Louie.

Lisa