homestead - Re: [Homestead] Advice on cooking crusts/biscuits

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Advice on cooking crusts/biscuits
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 23:44:52 -0400

Okay, tomorrow night I'll cook the pot pies. I think I have enough
filling for a dozen or so. I'm thinking of trying the biscuit dough AND
using a regular pie crust recipe, half and half, to compare.
Thanks everyone for the tips, advice, suggestions, comments, etc.

Also, I bought a calculator yesterday-now I just have to learn to
program it..lol..it is more than I could ever dream of needing.

Tomorrow I will be hilling up the garden in preparation for planting
corn. It is supposed to be about 26 degrees this weekend, and then it
should warm up a lot next week. I want to plant things like corn,
sorghum, and sunflowers on Friday, but I know I should probably wait.
Next week is when I start the new job, so I know I won't have time to do
it next week, so I almost have to risk losing the seed to a light freeze
and colder weather over the next few days...<sigh> What to do....
I can cover what I already have in beds, no problem there, and I will
wait a few weeks on planting okra and such, but I really want to get the
corn and sunflowers in..what do you think the chances are that I'll lose
the seed? I'm planting Golden Bantam, if that makes a difference. The
next lunar window for corn is the 14th and then the 22 (after tomorrow
and Friday), and both weekends are planned to the max so I would not be
able to plant then. After that, the window moves to May 2, which is
really late for corn, but considering that GB is a 78 day corn, and
allegedly germinates well in cooler soils,...shoot, I dunno...the more I
think, the more undecided I get...

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.