homestead - Re: [Homestead] Advice on cooking crusts/biscuits

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Advice on cooking crusts/biscuits
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:31:46 -0400

tonitime AT juno.com wrote:
Hi Bev, Cooking is one of our fortes here, so glad to give my
opinion. AND i love anything in pie crust. No - it will not be crispy
and flaky like those poot pies ( as my kids called 'em). It would be
soft and doughy. If you don't have time for pie crust or are
pie-crust-impaired, I'd pick up some of those boxes of instant, add
water crust to use. They are about a buck. and will probably make at
least three poot pies, which you can freeze, filled, and unbaked.

The layers of butter/shortening/lard particles in the crust are what
make it wondrous. Biscuit dough won't do that marvelous thing.

Okay, the Banquet pot pies are not really flaky like a regular pie crust
should be, and since the butter is what makes it sumptious, and there is
no butter in the biscuit dough, only SR flour, milk, salt, and
shortening, I guess I am not following why the biscuit dough won't work,
especially if rolled out flat and worked to keep it from rising too
much. I know when you make biscuits, the idea is not to handle/work the
dough too much or it won't rise properly, but if that same dough is
thawed for a crust, then working it should keep it rather flat, no? It
won't be flaky, but the Banquet pies aren't really flaky either...

What a great wife you are!

No, I'm afraid not. I'm just trying to make something he will like and
eat with gusto as opposed to something that he will eat to keep from
starving...lol..if it had been up to me, we would have a nice elk stew. :)

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.