homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo question..(

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo question..(
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:43:39 -0400

Dearest of Bevs,
You sure are right to be careful with wonderful bamboo! I used to
build alot of garden things when we were California people, and had ready
access to it. How i covet your timber bamboo stash here in the
Appalachians!
One good way to use it for trellis AND to preserve the bottoms of the
woods from wet soil ( and not worry about rooting stuff) is to drive
small sections of rebar into the ground and either afix the bamboo to
that or insert into the rebar if the centers are big enough. Oh how i
love that stuff!
I have had two online trades fall thru on getting hardy bamboo for our
farm. I have containers ready and the beginnings of a Japanese-style
garden area. What would that spot in our paradise be w/o bamboos?! I
wish the clumping types grew in zone 6aish - and i'd have them in ground
now. I am hoping that another trade shows up for me before long, as
those plants are incredibly expensive online or in a nursery ( even if we
had one withing two hours drive!).
Enjoy your wonderful haul!
Toni - who pc's for rest from the gardens this time of year, and is a
poor contributor with dirty hands!