homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo question..(

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo question..(
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:37:49 -0400

Good Morn, Gene and good listmates,
We are also in zone 6aish - for what that's worth these days of
change. I have found there are some bamboos that folk grow in zone 6 -
but they do not get large like Bev's timber-type bamboo - but still tall
and oh-so-useful.
The problem with getting cold hardy bamboos for me is the vendor's
price - 40-70.00 a pot! There are several kinds to pick from for these
colder zones.
Here is one examplte of a company that caters to our climate:
http://www.lewisbamboo.com/northeast.html
I do see that they have one - 'Giant Gray' that can get up to 3" in
diameter after some years.

If anyone here ever has hardy bamboo for trade - i have a wealth of seed
and plants for exchange!!
Toni
Red River Gorge(ous), KY.