homestead - Re: [Homestead] An attire dilemma

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] An attire dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:56:53 -0500

Keep the kit, if even for memories sake.

We are avid shoe polishers at the Perry house. My husband believes that
professional musicians, but particularly blues musicians (which he is),
should dress up (dress shirt & tie w/ fedora hat and shined shoes in his
case), if you're going to be on stage.

We are going through a similar purge here, having lived in our home for
going on 7 years we have accumulated clutter that needs to go to local
charity. When we used to move frequently, we purged with each move. Staying
put has it's rewards and drawbacks. With each passing year, we're leaning
towards a more spartan existence (less stuff). As husband puts it "You can
only wear one outfit at a time, how many do you need?" That sentiment
applies to nearly every household item (though books become a difficult
exception--to a point).

My Grandpa had a pair of shoes that were affectionately called The Wedding
Shoes, as he only wore them to each of his children's and grandchildren's
weddings over the course of 50 years. The shoes gathered dust in the years
in between. I have a picture of him taken holding one shoe (while wearing
the other) surrounded by all of us at the last family wedding.

I, too, think "formal" is going by the wayside for most situations.

I'm getting rid of outfits that I routinely wore in my job as a mortgage
broker. Perfectly good clothes, but they give me the creeps and don't make
me feel good. I don't intend to ever wear them ever again.

Lisa