homestead - Re: [Homestead] Global warming and the media, was Re: Peak oil

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Global warming and the media, was Re: Peak oil
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 21:47:41 -0700

You may have heard of Chalmers Johnson, but I'd missed his recent
trilogy of books about the end of the US empire. The trilogy comprises
Blowback, The End of Empire, and now Nemesis.

Amy Goodman interviewed him last week about Nemesis:

I haven't read Chalmers Johnson, but the material you presented is compelling. The reviews of his books tell the story. I have watched the American military-industrial machine growing for many decades. I have watched our national standing diminish in the world. I have concluded that we are all guilty of making it all happen. We are simply not good Americans. We take far too lightly our citizenship responsibilities. Unless and until we take them very seriously, the same game will continue to be played, wherein the DC Whorehouse and greedy industrialists and others filch tax dollars for their own greedy purposes. Knowing what they know, there is paranoia among these people. Much of it is deserved and has been earned.

The only viable future is one without war and without weapons that can obliterate civilizations. I am pessimistic that such wisdom will ever be activated.

"Here, then, is the problem which we present to you, stark and dreadful and inescapable: Shall we put an end to the human race; or shall mankind renounce war?"
Bertrand Russell and Albert Einstein, The Russell-Einstein Manifesto Issued in London, 9 July 1955