homestead - Re: [Homestead] Global warming and the media, was Re: Peak oil

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Global warming and the media, was Re: Peak oil
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 17:19:20 -0600

On 3/4/07, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
Here is current news pertinent to our discussion:

THE NEW ECO-CAPITALISM
When Being Green Puts You in the Black

We have global warming on one front and terrorists climbing up our ass
on another. Conservation that is well within the ability of all of us
-- in fact, most of us on this list are already there -- could give us
some more time.

This stuff is offered to generate thought:

You may have heard of Chalmers Johnson, but I'd missed his recent
trilogy of books about the end of the US empire. The trilogy comprises
Blowback, The End of Empire, and now Nemesis.

Amy Goodman interviewed him last week about Nemesis:

Wikipedia, it has a nice overview of the author, if you trust it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalmers_Johnson

Reviews of Johnson's book, The Sorrows of Empire, are at
http://www.amazon.com/Sorrows-Empire-Militarism-Republic-American/dp/0805077979
or

http://tinyurl.com/2lgsen

I particularly like the first customer review there.

And finally, Harry Kreisler interviewed Johnson when The Sorrows of
Empire was published:

http://globetrotter.berkeley.edu/people4/CJohnson/cjohnson-con0.html

http://tinyurl.com/2nsr4k

The Goodman and Kreisler interviews have quite a bit of overlap.