homestead - [Homestead] Cheap roofing

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cheap roofing
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 07:55:08 -0700

On Feb 23, 2007, at 11:14 PM, Rob wrote:

Just out of curiosity what would plain Jane metal roofing to do your
job cost you?

Some building supply places will sell mismatched metal roofing panels cheap. The roof may have five or six colors but it keeps the rain off. If the color clash offends, the whole roof can be painted.

I got a lesson from a roofing contractor during an inspection for a home sale I was handling here. The roof was the common Spanish tile and some of the tiles were cracked. What he told me is that the waterproofing of a roof is provided by the roofing paper. All the visible material does is look pretty and keep the paper from degrading.

For the East Wing roof at Heartwood I laid two thicknesses of heavy roofing paper, then stapled down two layers of poultry mesh. Then I spread mortar on and into the mesh. No leaks after about seven years. One of these days I will put on the finish coat.