homestead - Re: [Homestead] homestead update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] homestead update
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:21:51 -0500

Glass might not work well here...first, because we usually get some wicked hail damage every year, and second, it would allow too much light and create a for real hot house. But, now you have me thinking about using old patio sliding glass doors (tempered for safety). I used them for the walls, so why not the roof? I guess I would need 9 doors..hmm
I remember, years ago, Lee, our MIA moderator and friend, talked about greenhouse roofing here in the South. I don't have the post anymore, but she made a good argument for a metal or conventional roof over translucent or transparent materials.

Bev

Wendy wrote:
That's about right for Polycarbonate. The cheap stuff you need to replace every year to two. The only greenhouse covering I know of that will last as long as you is glass. I had looked into greenhouse coverings a few years ago and decided that any greenhouse I would put up would be glass.

Wendy

We'll see..I paid $27/sheet for the Suntuf Polycarbonate that's up there
now, all cracked and brittle from UV damage. If anyone is interested in
building a greenhouse, I don't recommend this stuff-it lasted only 5-6
years.

Bev