homestead - Re: [Homestead] homestead update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] homestead update
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:50:33 -0500

Wendy wrote:
Hi Bev, glad you heard from TJ again. Go TJ! Katie must be so excited about her visit with Dr. Fitzgerald. Ya did good lady.

Thank you! I'm just happy that both kids are happy and are well on their way to making a real difference in the world. They both always have funny/scary stories to tell...Today, TJ talked about submerging with the sail hatch ajar and Kate talked about chasing a loose dog down the 5 lane highway in a downtown commercial district.

About your PVC pipes. PVC pipes are not meant to be exposed to sunlight. Sunlight will degrade them and make them brittle and more prone to shattering for any reason, freezing or just a misplaced bump. If you can, be sure that all PVC piping is covered with something that blocks UV light. They will last longer.

The lines from the well to the barn are buried and I haven't had any problems with the buried lines, and in some places, they are less than 1" deep. It's so rocky here that digging a 300 foot trench was impossible in places, so I just mulched over where we couldn't trench. Several years of mulching has covered the lines with a soil base now. :)
In the well house, which is not insulated..just cinder blocks and a metal roof..there's about 3 feet of pvc above ground. If we keep a light in there on cold nights, it usually is fine. In December, we forgot to run a trouble light out there and the pipes froze and shattered. We fixed that and I shoved some old blankets and bed linens in there for pipe insulation and that has worked well in that small space. In the barn, which is an open shed style pole barn, the water lines emerge from underground and then up to cage height. I have PVC lines run around the back of the cages and there are nipple waterers in the pvc line. Of course, we also have a flush valve and a pressure regulator on the line. In all, there's about 30 feet of PVC above ground, but it is inside the barn and out of the sun. UV shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with your new job. I'm waiting on pins and needles here too about a new job. I don't expect to hear anything for another week or so. I have my fingers crossed.

What kind of job are you getting?

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.