homestead - Re: [Homestead] homestead update

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] homestead update
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 00:20:55 -0500

That's where shade cloth comes in. Even here in the frigid north, there are times of the year where you need shade cloth. I have seen a clever arrangement where the shade cloth is in smaller strips and an arrangement similar to a standard roll up window shade is used. Just pull down, then pull up. I think an easier arrangement would be to put boxes (similar to window boxes used for plants) along the where the roof meets the wall that the cloth is allowed to fall into. Then use eye hooks at the apex of the gh to guide a small rope (like clothesline weight) so that you can pull the cloth up to cover the roof, then let it slip down when you don't need it. Down south, you may not want to ever not cover the glass or you may want to tint the glass (you can get brush-on for windows) and use a removable shade cloth for the peak summer months. Some people are intimidated working with glass, but I'm not because I cut glass for fun. It isn't hard. But it does take some practice. Be sure to use good tools, or it may seem almost impossible. I don't understand why one would put a conventional roof over a transparent one. What good would the transparent roof be at all then?

Wendy

Glass might not work well here...first, because we usually get some
wicked hail damage every year, and second, it would allow too much light
and create a for real hot house. But, now you have me thinking about
using old patio sliding glass doors (tempered for safety). I used them
for the walls, so why not the roof? I guess I would need 9 doors..hmm
I remember, years ago, Lee, our MIA moderator and friend, talked about
greenhouse roofing here in the South. I don't have the post anymore,
but she made a good argument for a metal or conventional roof over
translucent or transparent materials.

Bev

Wendy wrote:
That's about right for Polycarbonate. The cheap stuff you need to replace
every year to two. The only greenhouse covering I know of that will last as
long as you is glass. I had looked into greenhouse coverings a few years
ago and decided that any greenhouse I would put up would be glass.

Wendy

We'll see..I paid $27/sheet for the Suntuf Polycarbonate that's up there
now, all cracked and brittle from UV damage. If anyone is interested in
building a greenhouse, I don't recommend this stuff-it lasted only 5-6
years.

Bev

Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.