homestead - Re: [Homestead] The latest meat eaters' dilemma

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The latest meat eaters' dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:45:32 -0800

Gene GeRue wrote:

Sunday night I wanted to have a nice dinner so I dug salsify and leeks
and corn salad to go with steak.

Well, here it is, folks, meat eaters are bigger contributors to global warming than Hummer drivers. Pretty soon, to hold our heads high, we will all have to eat rocks and poop powder.

Humans' beef with livestock: a warmer planet
American meat eaters are responsible for 1.5 more tons of carbon dioxide per person than vegetarians every year.

What if I said I was using up the old beef to make room for the new lamb that I'm going to pick up today? Tonight I'm dreaming of a giant batch of beef stew just to use up more.

Q: Weren't all the carbon atoms in compounds emitted (by cattle) recently removed from the atmosphere by plants as CO2???

Bill
S. Oregon coast