homestead - Re: [Homestead] The latest meat eaters' dilemma

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The latest meat eaters' dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:04:47 -0700

There are too many people on the
planet..unsustainable...of course, we all agree there, I think.

I'd have sworn that's what they were saying 30 years ago..

Paul Ehrlich started talking and writing about human overpopulation and predicting subsequent famine and other disasters in the mid- sixties. He persists today. His predictions proved overly dire. Which is to say, he predicted massive starvation in the seventies and eighties which of course did not occur. Later derided for being overly pessimistic he said he had presented, not predictions, but scenarios.

He may well have stretched the model, but he has served the useful purpose of getting people thinking about what growing human population will do to Earth. That agricultural advances have staved off massive starvation does not hide the fact that homo sapiens is destroying its habitat.