homestead - Re: [Homestead] mustard - was Shopping trip

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] mustard - was Shopping trip
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:52:30 -0800

At 2/7/2007 06:02 PM,Bill Jones wrote:
EarthNSky wrote:

>Bill Jones wrote:
>

>>I get it. The seed is so cheap at bulk bin prices anyway. Even then,
>>it's a little hard to grind it and leave the seed coat behind. Luckily
>>in our coffee grinder the soft yellow middlin' clings to the lid,
>>producing very nice mustard powder from brown mustard seed.
>>
>>Bill
>>S. Oregon coast
>>

>You know, I never...lol...thought of doing that..I guess I could buy
>organic seed, at least once, so that I could try it and see it if was
>worth the effort..mustard is cheap..
>
>Bev

I've played around with it some. Adding vinegar to mustard, or using
boiling water instead of cold, will reduce the firey heat.

I was watching "Good Eats" on the food channel and Brown did a thing on mustard. Seems there are 3 types, the yellow (think Frenches' mild), the light brown (think those minor spicy mustards) and one other spicy type.
Next time I get a wild hair to do something different I think I'll try some mustard.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA