homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shopping trip

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shopping trip
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:00:32 -0600

On 2/7/07, Lisa K.V. Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com> wrote:

No junk here
either--except for the Super Bowl. We ate some junk last Sunday, but even
so, it was probably healthier than most of America (no pop). Yes, we are
Super Bowl watching heathens, can't break hubby's habit, but then mine is
watching the Tour de France.

Hey, Lisa, I watched the Super Bowl also, so count me amongst those
heathens. I could not help myself, as Da Bears were in it, and I have long
loved Da Bears. I disliked my experience living in the Chicago area when I
was in school, but I learned to love a few sports teams. We had chili and
BBQ venison - pretty much redneck fare.

Of late, since my move, I shop once per week. I'm slowly trying to stock up
on things like flour, sugar, corn meal, rice, beans, butter, spices, herbs,
etc. as the budget allows. Once my goat kids, I can cut milk off the
shopping list, and I'm hoping to start making yogurt, cottage cheese,
and even some harder cheeses. If I could make something resembling cheddar
and something resembling mozzarella, I'd be ecstatic. I plan on getting
chicks this spring, but it is a long time from chick to pullet, so eggs will
remain on my shopping list for a long while. Once the garden kicks in this
summer, fresh produce can come off the shopping list, and I will be able to
resume canning and stocking up will go much faster. The key, then, will be
to NOT MOVE AGAIN. <smile>

Gloria