homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:35:37 -0500

clhw wrote:
Bev -- For the most part, we don't have cured wood to burn. There are
scraps from the pallet business, but those burn in a hurry. We generally
cut wood in the summer and fall for the winter's use. And usually wind up
cutting wood and burning it in the same week.

I think I mentioned that my folks just bought a house about 17 miles from here on the other side of town. There is a HUGE standing oak tree that looks like it was the victim of a F0 tornado as it is missing top branches. It's standing dead wood, and the tree is about 3 feet in diameter at the base. When the weather dries up a bit, we intend to fell that sucker and after that, we should have plenty of wood for the remainder of this year and all of next year, just out of that one tree. We usually have storm damage trees in the Spring to take out, too, so I have no worries about next year.

Husband does attempt to drop trees when the lunar phases are right to have
lower sap in the trees, and it seems to make a difference. Do others garden
or cut down trees by the moon?

I think most everybody knows that I garden by the moon, but that's been the extent of my lunar planning. However, I am, really going to change that this year and do more than just plant by the moon. I believe there is enough evidence to support doing other homestead activities, like cutting down trees and such, by the moon as well. On another list, someone posted this link:
http://www.ommas-aarden.net/lunar_garden.07.htm
and I have found it really useful. I am creating a spreadsheet from the tables on that page that will allow me to plan other activities and chores to coincide with lunar position.

Being out of coffee would be drastic here! I can't drink sweet drinks, and
drink coffee black. I use the warm drink to warm myself. A cup or two of
hot tea is also nice, but lacks the substance of coffee!

It's drastic here, too! I drink it for warmth as well! I haven't been to the store in 4 months, and even when I went I just bought a few things, so my supplies are dwindling.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.